Monday, August 27, 2007

The world as I know it is FALSE!!!

2 things I need some help on.

1.If you wanted a cone that was chocolate AND vanilla, would you call it a twist cone, or a swirl cone? If you are used to saying swirl instead of twist or vice versa, would you understand what somebody else was asking for if they asked for the opposite?

I went to the DQ to treat my new nieces and nephews to some ice cream cones and I asked for a twisty cone and the guy had to ask me 5 times what the heck I was talking about. After that I explained the concept and he informed me I wanted a swirl cone. Thanks for the help. Here's the next one:

2.Charlie/Charley Horse
How did you guys use this growing up? I don't mean the spelling. How would everyone define this?

I grew up knowing that a charlie horse was a cramp/contusion, but it was not confined to the leg. While growing up we used, or at least I think we used, the term to also refer to someone inflicting such an injury on somebody else, i.e., "You just gave me a charlie!". Punched in the arm, kicked in the calf, kneed in the leg. It didn't matter. I think Gretchen thinks I am nuts for ever thinking that everyone used it that way. I am not trying to prove her wrong, I am just trying to figure out if I grew up one confused child, or if my whole family grew up confused.

Colloquial or Crazy?

4 comments:

Leah said...

Crazy. Charlie horse is in the leg. People who don't know that a twist and swirl cone are one and the same are not fit to work in a twist/swirl cone establishment.

Scott said...

I'm split on this one... on one hand, you should get used to accepting defeat in all marital discussion, so this might be cood practice...

On the other hand, you are right. While I grew up in a strictly non-violent home, the description you provided is in keeping with the tales of agony I heard from many of my peers. One note, a charlie horse is limited to the arms (from the upper third of the forearm to the shoulder), and the legs (from the upper thigh to just below the knee.) While I have heard tell of buttock and pelvic-side Charley Horses, they are generally considered anomalies, and, as such, fall outside the boundary for the standard nomenclature.

As for the act, it should be considered as follows: All charlie Horses are kicks/ punches/ knees, but not all kicks punches and knees are charley horses. Unless you are Chuck Norris. Then all charley horses are lethal.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Scott. A charlie horse can be in the arm or the leg, but I've never heard of a calf charlie horse. Upper arm and upper leg only. And don't believe Scott about that non-violent home garbage. I've met his sisters. And have you ever seen how sharp his little sister's elbows are? I'm sure that our friend Scott is speaking from experience.

banananutmeg said...

It's true about the elbows. I do recall once being placed in a pillow case by my older brother and used as a weapon in a pillow fight with Tim and Lane. Sharp elbows indeed.

By the way...congrats on your wedding guys!

I agree with leah on the twisty swirly issue.

Also...you guys are CRAZY. A charlie horse is a cramp in your calf. I've never heard of a charlie horse anywhere else except when my mom got one in her pinky toe...and her feet are questionable anyway so it's still just in the calves. A charlie is when you get punched in the upper arm or shoulder...but i haven't heard it used in about 7 years...about the time i left my violent home. hmmm....